Project
As part of my project Areas of Photographic Practice B, I
had to provide a series of images, capable of being used for an article of the
online news platform, Quays News[1].
Hence, we were told by their representatives that the Images must be visually
stimulating and help to tell the story and that they are looking for creative
images – either in the subject matters themselves, or the way the subject
matter is photographed.
Additionally, we were asked to reflect a subject related to
Salford and more specifically to the ‘Hidden
Salford’.
At this point I have no clue on what subject I would be able
to focus as I am familiar with neither Salford nor its story, problems, society
and further its hidden themes. Accordingly, I had to spend a little time of
research. As an information provider, I had used the Quays News. I relied to
the fact that they were providing the news and related stories and events of
Salford, and because I had to see in which subject they were previously
interested on.
In reflection to my research I saw that Salford had been
developed in the last few years and that the society is paying attentions to
the issues that are affecting the reputation and the people of Salford. Having
realised that Salford is known for its highly criminality, I have to admit that
I feel confined in my subject choices.
I have spent a quality time of wandering around Salford and
getting familiar with aspects that were in need of embarrassment and recognition
by the public. For instance, my first idea is to capture the hidden beauty of
Salford. Regarding my idea, I have placed down the positive and negatives.
Consequently I decided that I would not come across with the
requirements I was asked to cover. In relation to this conclusion I first
considered the fact that I, as a Cypriot and a ‘stranger’ to the society of
Salford, would not be the most suitable person of introducing something new
about Salford to the people of Salford. Moreover, I felt that I would have to
spend many time in getting to know Salford and what was within it that would be
considered as hidden and having the need to be known and form a part of a
story.
Therefore, I have now concluded to another idea. The journey
that I had in order to find this aspect was considerably long as I had to do a
lot of research and conduct many people. The starting point of my idea was
related to the fact that I knew that they are many Greek-Cypriots living in
Salford. Respectively, I started asking around for people that may
knew somebody that could inform me about Greek Society of Salford. I then got
informed about a Greek Orthodox Church in Salford.
Through the internet, I found several emails and conduct
details of representatives of the Society and Church. Once I conduct them and
told them that I wanted to cover their activities as Greek Society, they were
extremely willing to help me and to provide me with anything I wanted, as they
expressed to me that they had the need getting known and recognised by the
whole Salford, as they are having a part of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment